It’s not just data that we need to back up. We also need to back up processes. I recently failed to do that and I share a story of woe from my phone breaking my two-factor authentication.
* story about 2FA backup methods
* backup to external drives
* consider encryption
* how often? as often as your data changes….
* two local drives – continuous backup vs point in time
HOMEWORK FOR NEXT TIME
* Do you first (next?) backup.
* Extra credit: Do a test restore!
LINKS FROM THIS EPISODE
* Authy – two-factor authentication (2FA) app
* Apple TimeMachine (macOS and Mac OS X only)
* Microsoft Authenticator – two-factor authentication (2FA) app
* VeraCrypt – encryption software for Windows Mac, and Linux (warning, not incredibly user friendly — I’ll cover this more humanely in the future)
* Windows Backup (Windows 8.1 only)
HUMANE TECH EMAIL NEWSLETTER
Sign-up to receive a weekly newsletter that’s to-the-point with helpful advice, links, and information on upcoming podcast episodes, and more! Your information will never be sold or shared.
* file sharing services: Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, etc
* secure cloud storage
If you’re enjoying the podcast please leave a review and subscribe. If you have comments, questions, concerns, or suggestions please email us at email@example.com.